Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chili Feast

So Sunday night I had two good friends over for dinner, and I served up chili with beans, cheesy corny cast iron corn bread, queso dip, all the topping for chili and then topped it off with a peach black berry pie.

There are no great secrets to anything I served that night, my chili recipe comes off the back of a pack of chili seasoning, but I tweak it. Used 1.5 pounds of seasoned ground beef 2 cans of beans (1 drained), 2 cans diced tomatoes, and 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce.

The queso dip is found on the back of every have of diced tomato and green chilies and on the back of every box of processed cheese log (you know the brands I am talking about) - but everyone loves so I don't fool with the recipe there.

Now the corn bread is a different manner the secret to that on is the cast iron skillet - its old and well seasoned from years of love. If you don't have one you can still make this recipe in a metal pie pan.

Cheesy Corney Cast Iron Cornbread
2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1 10 oz can corn with peppers (mexi corn)
8 oz shredded sharp cheese
2 tbsp solid vegetable shorting

Preheat the oven as directed on the box of cornmeal mix, put shorting in the cast iron skillet and place in the oven while heating.  Combine all remaining ingredients, and let sit till the oven is hot. Pour the cornbread mix into the hot skillet (I do not recommend taking the skillet out of the oven for this). Bake 25 -30 min or until a knife suck in the middle come out clean.



Another fabulous cheat is the pie - I don't make my own pie crust, I can and have in the past but given the time I have as a busy mom and the chance for "issues" with something at finicky as pie crust I buy is pre-made.  The filling came out of 2 can peach pie filling and 1 pint of blackberries. It was wonderful and no I don't feel bad about a semi-homemade dessert like that, especially considering how much was left over.

The aftermath

No comments:

Post a Comment